Monday, May 30, 2016

"Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" - Ransom Riggs

"Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"
Ransom Riggs

In my hunt for something to read, my Mom (in her wonderful large home library) recommended that I read the series "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children". Given my like for unusual stories, all things horror, and wanting a light read after my last very heavy read, she recommended this. 

While I will say it is an incredibly easy read for me, I greatly enjoyed it. While the prologues usually don't interest me much, this prologue pulled me in and I was hooked. It opens with Jacob reflecting on his life, which he's always viewed as ordinary, some unexpected and extraordinary things begin to happen around him. Most of these events seem to be centered around his eccentric grandfather, Grandpa Portman.

Grandpa Portman used to thrill Jacob with his monster stories and strange pictures of "unique" children. His reflections of a house on a hill, surrounded by water and watched over by "The Bird" make Jacob long for adventure. Jacob used to believe these stories to be true but, as children do, they outgrow the stories and no longer believe them. That's exactly where Jacob's troubles begin, and Grandpa Portman's life ends. 

This book was a wonderful read. The story line was simple but highly engaging. There were little turns here and there to keep you guessing. Coupled along with unique and well-placed pictures throughout the book, this is a must read for everyone. I can't wait to read the second in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment