Sunday, November 29, 2015

"The Girl in the Spider's Web" - David Lagercrantz

"The Girl in the Spider's Web" - David Lagercrantz

This book is the fourth in the Millennium series, but it it is not written by the original author, Stieg Larsson's. Stieg Larsson wrote the first three books in the series. Many of you might be familiar with them. They are: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Net.

So, before we discuss "The Girl in the Spider's Web" I'll give you a little back history on me and the Millennium series. 

I received "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" from my Mom as an advanced reader's copy. I was pretty excited but, after getting through the first half of the first chapter, I put it down. It BORED ME TO DEATH! 

Fast forward to the year that the second book, "The Girl Who Played with Fire" came out. There was a lot of hype around the two books so I decided to pick up the first one and read it again. As I forced myself through the dullness of the first chapter I became enthralled in the book. I read it in record time and then HAD to have the next book. I raced to Walmart and bought it on my lunch break.... then finished it that night. 

When the third book, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" came out I also rushed out and bought it. I was so desperate to read it that I bought it in hard back format. I usually don't purchase hard back books.. they are expensive and take up a lot of shelf space in my tiny apartment. However, I couldn't resist, I had to know what happened to Lizbeth. 

The same story run true for this book. When I heard that the fourth book had been picked up by a new author I couldn't wait for it to be released. I marked every calendar in my house (and at my desk at work) with the release date. 

When it came out I picked it up and read it on a two hour flight. I might say, it's just as exciting as the first three. 

Now on to the review!

While this book isn't my favorite in the series it certainly was well done. The new author, David Lagercrantz, did a very good job of following Stieg Larsson's writing style. There were very few moments where I could tell it was a different author. 

This book is full of surprises, both violent and beautiful. The unlikely heroine winds up with a very unusual companion through a messed up rescue operation. The unperson-able Lisbeth  takes a liking to this companion because she sees herself in him. She understands him. 

My favorite part of the book is who they introduce as the super villain. I won't tell you who it is, but I'll give you a hint. Violent blood runs thick in a certain family! 

Overall Recommendation

My overall recommendation of the book is that it is a must-read, especially if you have already read the first three books in the series. While you could pick the book up and read it on it's own, the series is so much more entertaining and thrilling. This book, and the whole series, is worth every bit. 

As a special note... **DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIES BEFORE YOU READ THE BOOK!!** The movies, especially the American version, do the novels NO JUSTICE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment