Sunday, January 6, 2013

"The Secret History" - Donna Tartt

"The Secret History" - Donna Tartt
 
"The Secret History" is about a group of college-aged kids studying Greek at Hampden College. There is murder written in the story, but I have not arrived at that chapter yet. The main character, Richard Papen, wants to join this special Greek class, but is denied when he speaks to the professor about the class. He soon find outs from ramblings on campus that the Greek teacher does not have very respectable ways for choosing his five students. He also finds out that the five students in the Greek class do not interact with the rest of the campus like the other students do. They are, in a sense, in their own world. By the chance interaction in the library with a few of the Greek students, Richard is accepted to attend the Greek class. He is excited, but is curious to learn more about this "Greek Society" on campus.
I have only finished the first chapter of this book, and am not greatly enjoying it yet. There are some slow, explanatory parts in the first chapter. I found it hard to maintain my focus while reading, and caught myself skipping ahead to other paragraphs. With that said, I have only read the first chapter and will maintain my open mind through out the rest of this book. I have read my fair share of books that started out so slow but ended up being great ("Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" started out so boring that I had to put it down and didn't pick it up for almost a year! Once I did pick it back up I was addicted to it.). So, on to more reading and I will let you know if the book picks up or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment